Ticks in New England
Staying Safe from Ticks While Visiting The New England Outdoors
Visiting the New England Outdoors and enjoying golf, hiking, fishing, or just about any other outdoor activity, unfortunately, comes with certain risks. One of those risks is coming into contact with a tick. New England ticks are found just about everywhere in the six New England states.
Ticks (also known as arachnids) are a fact of life here in New England, and, in fact, in many places on earth. Golfers, hikers, hunters, bird watchers, and anyone that spends time outdoors should be aware of ticks. Globally, there are some 400 species of ticks on this planet. Here in New England, we have about a dozen different species lurking in the woods, forests, and grass
Not much is usually heard about ticks, but the fact is – knowing about ticks is extremely important and potentially life-saving. Ticks, like mites, are external parasites that live off the blood of mammals, birds, and even reptiles and amphibians. Ticks are also vectors of several diseases, including the potentially fatal Lyme disease.
Often tick species take their name from their favorite host, so we have bird ticks, woodchuck ticks, rabbit ticks, moose ticks, and dog ticks. Other New England varieties of tick include; one-star tick, tiny black-legged tick – the local variety, which is commonly referred to as a “deer tick”.
Ticks are rather unique in that all ticks must stalk and feed on a host vertebrate three times in their lifetime, as larva, again as a nymph, and finally as an adult. It is in the third and final phase of the deer tick’s life that is the most dangerous to humans.
Ticks & Lyme Disease
An infected tick can spread Lyme Disease. Not all ticks are infected with Lyme Disease. A tick bite can be difficult to detect. Anyone who spends time outdoors (hikers, golfers, hunters, bird watchers, bike riders, etc. ) should learn how to check themselves for fleas, ticks, and insect bites and should take the time to perform this precautionary measure. The actual size of an adult tick is about the size of this 0, or the size of a pinhead.
Most cases of Lyme diseases are from the Northeast. Nearly 90% of all Lyme disease cases have been reported in the Northeastern part of the US. Many people in New England are being infected from ticks in their own yard.
A quality tick repellent is a great way to defend yourself against ticks. Use a recommended tick repellent like Ben’s 30% DEET Mosquito, Tick and Insect Repellent, 3.4 Ounce Pump before you head off into the woods, or take to the golf course. Whenever you return from your New England outdoor adventure you should check yourself carefully for ticks. Some people suggest wearing light-colored clothing because the ticks are easier to spot. If you do find a tick has attached itself to your body, carefully remove the tick with a tweezer.
Ticks are blood-feeding parasites that are often found in tall grass, stone walls, fallen leaves, and shrubs where they wait to attach themselves to a passing host, like you or your pet. Physical contact is the only method of transportation for ticks. Thankfully, ticks can not fly, although they may drop from their perch and fall onto an unsuspecting host.
Contact us for information about featuring your business in New England Living Magazine.
TICK REPELLENT SALE
- READY TO USE: Spider, Rodent and Insect glue traps are pre-scented and are intended for use without additional bait. For best use, leave trap with paper on so pests can acclimate to the trap, then place glue boards along known or suspected rodent pathways. Our glue boards peanut scent is non-allergenic!
- YEAR ROUND PROTECTION: Catchmaster glue traps are safe, non-toxic and no-mess. An effective alternative to standalone glue boards that may not hold up as well in damp or humid areas like basements or bathrooms. When placed in an area with normal conditions, glue traps can last up to one full year. Our products are tested under the harshest field conditions to ensure maximum reliability for any level of pest control expert.
- SAFE FOR THE FAMILY: Designed to help you keep your family protected and safe from unwanted pests in your home, Catchmaster's glue traps are intuitive, secure and effective. Our pest glue traps are easy to place, simply put the trap against walls & along pathways to catch unwanted pests and insects, if using in an area with dust or other debris, fold the trap into a tunnel to protect the glue.
- TOTAL COVERAGE: Can be used indoors in residential, commercial, or industrial buildings, and sensitive areas where rodenticides or snap traps are undesirable or prohibited. Our glue boards are proudly made in the USA, fast acting and non-toxic, keeping your family and home safe from pests!
- INTELLIGENT PEST MANAGEMENT: At our core, we are dedicated pest detectives. We believe in utilizing a science-based approach to integrated pest management. We call this approach Intelligent Pest Management. We leave no stones unturned when it comes to pests and we have unwavering conviction in our products.
- Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Indoor & Perimeter2 with Comfort Wand kills ants, cockroaches, spiders, fleas, ticks and other listed bugs; the formula is odor free, won't stain, and keeps listed bugs out. Long lasting bug barrier
- KILLS BUGS INSIDE: Kills those annoying home-invading insects, including ants, cockroaches, spiders, fleas, ticks, scorpions, beetles, silverfish, centipedes and millipedes
- KEEPS BUGS OUTSIDE: Creates a bug barrier that will kill bugs you have and prevents new bugs for up to 12 months (applies to ants, roaches and spiders indoors on non-porous surfaces)
- NO STAINING OR STINK: This spray can be used indoors and out, leaves no residue, and has no odor; people and pets may re-enter treated areas after spray has dried
- WAND MAKES APPLICATION EASY: The Comfort Wand eliminates hand fatigue, and there's no pumping required, making it easy to spray along your home's perimeter--indoors and outside
- Extra Concentrated for Long-Lasting Protection
- Natural Ingredients Proven Effective in the Real World
- Large 16oz Bottle
- Powerful Essential Oil
- KILLS FAST: Kills mosquitoes, listed ant types, fleas and other listed insects
- QUICKFLIP HOSE-END SPRAYER: Hose-end-sprayer activates spray at the flip of a switch – just grip, flip and go
- LASTS ALL SUMMER: Controls up to 12 weeks against house crickets, carpenter ants, harvester ants, lady beetles and earwigs
- COVERAGE: Treats up to 5,000 square feet of lawn
- NO MIXING REQUIRED: Attach the sprayer to a garden hose to treat your lawn, landscape and outdoor surfaces where insects hide
- DEET-Free, Made With Essential Oils – Our repellent bracelets are made with essential oils: Geraniol Oil, Lemongrass Oil and Citronella Oil. Essential oils have been found to repel mosquitoes.
- 10 Resealable Bags – Each mosquito repellent bracelet is individually wrapped in a resealable bag, keeping it fresh and increase the life span.
- One Size Fits All – Cliganic repellent bracelets are fully adjustable, stretchy and easily fits.
- Perfect For Outdoor – Best for indoor, outdoor and travel. Keep it together with your picnic backpack accessories. Enjoy the outdoors without worrying about pesky mosquito bites.
- For Adults & Kids - When used as directed
- Vet-recommended, premium flea & tick protection for dogs & puppies without the price tag
- Long-lasting flea collar kills & repels fleas for 8 continuous months
- Seresto is the #1 selling non-prescription flea & tick brand, stocked by 8,000 vet clinics (Parasiticide Collar Dollar Sales in Vet Clinics. Elanco Animal Health, Data on File, Feb 2022)
- Starts working within 24 hours to kill & repel fleas by contact so pests don’t have to bite your dog to die
- Hassle-free, non-greasy, easy-to-use flea & tick protection
- Natural Product - Composed of 4lbs of 100% ground freshwater diatomaceous earth with absolutely no additives or fillers.
- OMRI Listed - Listed with the Organic Minerals Research Institute, a non-profit organization that reviews products against organic standards.
- Powder Duster Included - Powder duster in the bag for easy and efficient application of diatomaceous earth on animal feed
- Supports a Great Cause - Harris donates 10% of profits to support the local Etowah Valley Humane Society.
- Made in the USA – Mined in Nevada and packaged in Georgia
- SAFE AND EFFECTIVE: Created with you and your kids in mind. This mosquito repellant sticker is made with all natural, plant-based ingredients. BuzzPatch is non-toxic and DEET free and uses the most effective and safe essential oil combination.
- INSTANT, CONVENIENT, EFFECTIVE: Instant and most effective in the first 8 hours but continues to be effective for 24-72 hours. Long lasting, easy to apply, and environmentally friendly.
- KID FRIENDLY, PARENT APPROVED - Kids love the colorful, cute smiley patterns that are comfortable to wear and fast to apply. Parents love that they can keep their babies, toddlers, and kids protected without the harmful chemicals.
- MEDICAL GRADE ADHESIVE PATCHES – Non-woven fabric patches are medical grade and water-resistant. These pleasant smelling patches will be your new favorite for the whole family!
- MULTI USE FUNCTION - Perfect for babies, toddlers, kids, and adults. Convenient, small package is perfect for on the go and travel. Great for hiking, vacation, backyard, camping, patio, and parks. Protects day and night.
- 100% American Made
- Do-It-Yourself Mosquito Killer
- Four tubes [included in this 1 Acre Pack] will kill mosquitoes in areas 1 acre or smaller
- Kills mosquitoes that may carry West Nile Virus, Zika Virus, Dengue Fever, St. Louis encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, and Eastern equine encephalitis for up to 30 days
- SPARTAN MOSQUITO PRO TECH IS NOT AVAILABLE TO RESIDENTS OF California, and outside the United States
Attractions | Inns | Resorts | Hotels
Rental Homes | Real Estate | Restaurants
Camping | Business | Classified